A MINESWEEPER puzzle consists of a square or rectangular grid in which a number of mines have been laid.
Some of the cells contain a hazard flag which has a number indicating how many of the adjacent cells
(horizontally, vertically and diagonally) contain a mine. To solve the puzzle, you must determine which of the
unflagged cells contain mines. Each puzzle has a unique solution and no guessing is required to reach a
The following graphics show a Minesweeper puzzle in the Magnum Opus
and a PNG graphic file produced by the program's print function, showing the complete puzzle solution.
See also a full size version of a PDF file.
The key features of the Magnum Opus Minesweeper Construction function are as follows:-
- Fully automatic construction of puzzles.
- Puzzles can be made in a range of square and rectangular sizes from a minimum of 6x6 to a maximum of 14x14.
- Four levels of difficulty can be selected when making a puzzle.
- A multi-build function allows the construction of many puzzles (thousands if necessary) in a single operation.
During a multi-build, puzzle difficulty may optionally be set to vary on a seven day cycle.
- Manual construction of puzzles is possible. This may be handy if you have a puzzle derived from a printed publication,
and you want to turn it into a Magnum Opus puzzle.
- Puzzles can be printed in an unprecedented range of user controlled colors and formats.
Output can be sent direct to the printer or, if you install the appropriate software, it can be sent to a PDF file. The
recommended software for this purpose is Primo PDF which
you can download free from their website, although you might consider sending them a small donation if
you find their program useful. Mac users will be able to create a PDF file directly from the screen provided by
the printer driver.
- Formatted output can also be exported from the Print screen to graphic files which conform to the BMP, GIF, JPG or PNG formats.
- A fully interactive Solve function is available to allow you to solve the puzzles "on screen" without needing to print them.
- Export selected puzzles to a Java Applet which can be uploaded to a web server to provide interactive puzzle content on your web site.