A KAKURO puzzle is constructed on a crossword grid just like a standard crossword, but the digits 1 to 9 are used instead of
the letters of the alpahabet. In a standard Kakuro puzzle, the Across and Down clues are simply the sums of the digits in the
across and down words. A variant of this standard is to use the products of the digits for the clues. Magnum Opus
will make both of these variants.
The following graphics show a Kakuro puzzle in the Magnum Opus
and a PNG graphic file produced by the program's print function, showing the complete puzzle solution.
See also a full size version of a PDF file
showing the solution.
The key features of the Magnum Opus Kakuro Construction function are as follows:-
- Fully automatic construction of puzzles.
- Puzzles may be built in both add and multiply mode.
- A multi-build function allows the construction of many puzzles (thousands if necessary) in a single operation.
- Puzzles can be printed in an unprecedented range of user controlled colors and formats.
Output can be sent direct to the printer or, if you install the appropriate software, it can be sent to a PDF file. The
recommended software for this purpose is Primo PDF which
you can download free from their website, although you might consider sending them a small donation if
you find their program useful. Mac users will be able to create a PDF file directly from the screen provided by
the printer driver.
- Formatted output can also be exported from the Print screen to graphic files which conform to the BMP, GIF, JPG or PNG formats.
- A fully interactive Solve function is available to allow you to solve the puzzles "on screen" without needing to print them.
- Export selected puzzles to a Java Applet which can be uploaded to a web server to provide interactive puzzle content on your web site.