A GOKIGEN puzzle consists of a square or rectangular grid. Every cell in the grid must have a diagonal line inserted. The numbers
at the corners of some of the cells indicates the number of diagonals which converge on that point. The diagonal lines must not form
a loop of any size. Each puzzle has a unique solution which can be found without guessing.
The following graphics show a Gokigen puzzle in the Magnum Opus
and a PNG graphic file produced by the program's print function, showing the complete puzzle solution.
See also a full size version of a PDF file
showing the solution.
The key features of the Magnum Opus Gokigen Construction function are as follows:-
- Fully automatic construction of puzzles. Puzzle sizes can range from a minimum of 5x5 up to a maximum of 10x10.
- A multi-build function allows the construction of many puzzles (thousands if necessary) in a single operation.
- Puzzles can be printed in an unprecedented range of user controlled colors and formats.
Output can be sent direct to the printer or, if you install the appropriate software, it can be sent to a PDF file. The
recommended software for this purpose is Primo PDF which
you can download free from their website, although you might consider sending them a small donation if
you find their program useful. Mac users will be able to create a PDF file directly from the screen provided by
the printer driver.
- Formatted output can also be exported from the Print screen to graphic files which conform to the BMP, GIF, JPG or PNG formats.
- A fully interactive Solve function is available to allow you to solve the puzzles "on screen" without needing to print them.
- Export selected puzzles to a Java Applet which can be uploaded to a web server to provide interactive puzzle content on your web site.