A Fillomino puzzle consists of a square grid in which some of the squares contain a single digit number. To complete the puzzle,
a Solver must place numbers in the blank squares so that the puzzle is divided into zones with the area of each zone equal to the
number contained within its squares. The zones may take on any shape, but zones having the same area may not touch each other.
Each puzzle has a unique solution which does no require any guesswork to achieve.
The following graphics show a Fillomino puzzle in the Magnum Opus
and a PNG graphic file produced by the program's print function, showing the complete puzzle solution.
See also a full size version of a PDF file
showing a completed solution.
The key features of the Magnum Opus Fillomino Construction function are as follows:-
- Fully automatic construction of puzzles. Puzzle sizes can range from a minimum of 4x4 up to a maximum of 8x8.
- A multi-build function allows the construction of many puzzles (thousands if necessary) in a single operation.
- Manual construction of puzzles is possible. This may be handy if you have a puzzle derived from a printed publication,
and you want to turn it into a Magnum Opus puzzle.
- Puzzles can be printed in an unprecedented range of user controlled colors and formats.
Output can be sent direct to the printer or, if you install the appropriate software, it can be sent to a PDF file. The
recommended software for this purpose is Primo PDF which
you can download free from their website, although you might consider sending them a small donation if
you find their program useful. Mac users will be able to create a PDF file directly from the screen provided by
the printer driver.
- Formatted output can also be exported from the Print screen to graphic files which conform to the BMP, GIF, JPG or PNG formats.
- A fully interactive Solve function is available to allow you to solve the puzzles "on screen" without needing to print them.
- Export selected puzzles to a Java Applet which can be uploaded to a web server to provide interactive puzzle content on your web site.