The key features of the Magnum Opus Standard Crossword Construction function
are as follows:-
- Fully automated construction of puzzles using the contents of a pre-selected dictionary
containing both words and clues.
- Fully manual construction is available for those who prefer to individually select each word
used in the puzzle. The words can be typed into the puzzle, or selected from a list of suggestions offered by
- Optionally, a number of letters or words can be entered manually before requesting the
program to complete the puzzle building task.
- Up to four Theme Dictionaries may be selected before building begins. The program takes as
many words as it can from the theme dictionaries. Only when no such words are available does it use a word from
the Standard Dictionary.
- A multi-build function allows the construction of many puzzles (thousands if necessary) in a
- Puzzles can be printed in an unprecedented range of user controlled colors and formats.
Output can be sent direct to the printer or, if you install the appropriate software, it can be sent to a PDF file. The
recommended software for this purpose is Primo PDF which
you can download free from their website, although you might consider sending them a small donation if
you find their program useful. Mac users will be able to create a PDF file directly from the screen provided by
the printer driver.
- A fully interactive Solve function is available to allow you to solve the crosswords "on screen"
without needing to print them.
- Export selected puzzles to a Java Applet which can be uploaded to a web server to provide
interactive puzzle content on your web site.
- A Review feature allows you to quickly scan through all of the clues in a puuzzle. An Add Clue
function allows you to add any clues which may be missing, or to edit any which you might like to change.
- Individual cells within a puzzle may be colorized. This can be used to highlight a message
which becomes visible to the solver as the solution process progresses.
The HELP System for Magnum Opus Crosswords
Magnum Opus uses a Help system which is substantially different to that of most other programs. Every HELP screen is actually
a web page which is displayed in a window of the default web browser. This is a convenience feature which allows the Help to be updated
on a regular basis without the need to release a new version of the Magnum Opus program. Following is a list of links which will take
you to the Help pages which are applicable to the Crossword
Build and Solve functions:-