Each letter which appears in a Codeword puzzle is associated with a unique code number, and these
numbers are displayed in the puzzle grid. To solve such a puzzle you must determine which letter is associated with each
The solution process is aided by a code table which consists of a number of cells with each cell containing one code number,
plus space to enter the solution letter for that code. Three of these cells will contain a letter to get you started.
These graphics show a Codeword puzzle in the Magnum Opus
and a PNG graphic file produced by the program's print function, showing the complete puzzle.
See also a full size version of a PDF file
showing the complete puzzle
The key features of the Magnum Opus Codeword solve function are as follows:-
- Any crossword puzzle created by Magnum Opus can be processed by the Codeword solve function.
- The solve function contains buttons to allow you to Reveal Errors, Reveal One letter, Reveal Solution, and Start Again.
- A Codeword Java Applet is provided, and any puzzle may be exported in Applet format from the Crossword Construction screen.
- Puzzles can be printed in an unprecedented range of user controlled colors and formats.
Output can be sent direct to the printer or, if you install the appropriate software, it can be sent to a PDF file. The
recommended software for this purpose is Primo PDF which
you can download free from their website, although you might consider sending them a small donation if
you find their program useful. Mac users will be able to create a PDF file directly from the screen provided by
the printer driver.
- Individual cells which have been treated using the Colorize Puzzle function of the Crossword Construction screen will be colorized
when they are printed if you select the Print with Color print Option.